Saturday, July 13, 2013

As I think back on my journey getting to Haiti I stand in awe. I think about where it all started. How it all started. And why it all started. What my heart felt. What my eyes saw. And what was really taking place. All the things that God used to draw me to Him and in the direction that He had for me. All the people that played a huge role in encouraging me and pointing me the the right way of travel.


I remember the day that God was prompting me in the direction of missions. Where I was sitting. And God took me to Mexico. It was a learning experience. Showing me a bit of a different culture, traveling for the first time and what it looked like to share the gospel on the mission field. But to be honest I never felt called back there. God worked in my heart on the trip and I saw God work through us and use us on the trip, but when I returned home I didn’t have a hunger to go back.


Then God opened the door for me to go to Haiti. I don’t remember saying yes to going. It was just kind of assumed that I would go by my friends and family. Which in turn I believe was God’s hand completely. Then I started the trip by fundraising and prayerfully getting ready for the trip that changed my life. When I stepped on the plane to go to Haiti for my 1st time, I had no idea what I was going into. It seems that when someone goes to a 3rd world country that either love it or hate it. And when I say that I totally mean it. I LOVED IT. It was so much to take in for me. The culture is so different here. The people, the food, the smells, the roads, the language, the customs, the way of life, everything. The way my heart reacted when I stepped in a Haitian hospital for the first time. The thoughts that raced through my mind the first time I place my feet on a tent city soil. The way the kids stole my heart. I know that God was changing me. I can’t completely describe it in words.


But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light. 1 Peter 2:9


The statement “Here I am Lord. Send me.” has always amazed me. My daddy has always said there is work for those who want to work. And that all God needs is a willing heart and laborer. So true. I think about how much and how often it talks about how God will uphold the humble and exalt the weak. I wrote a post about this at the very beginning of my trip. God sometime does the impossible to show that all things are possible through Him.

1 Corinthians 2 has a lot to say about this.

For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.  1 Corinthians 1:25-31
 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

God has chosen the foolish things of this world to confound the wise. Go where God is calling you. Do what God wants you to do. Start where God has placed you. Fear not. Because greater is He that is in you then He that is in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment